Sunday 30 December 2007

I Believe

Why believe in that which has no evidence?

I find this a profound question. Why do people believe in the irrational?

I have dealt with this question in one of my articles on religion. People are eager to brand the darkness as divine. For example, one belief I commonly encounter is about the creation of the universe. Some believe in intelligent design... that is, some “intelligent” chap up there carving out the intricate structure of this wonderful universe. Others believe in the Big Bang. What do I believe in? … Neither. My reluctance to believe in this regard stems from the inadequacy of either theory in answering certain basic questions like what existed before the Universe? Nothing… my father once said. I remember being dumbstruck by the sudden omnipresence of NOTHING. “What is nothing?” I remember having asked him as a 12 year old. I am still fascinated by this concept! I do not understand it yet and don’t pretend that I do.

That brings me back to the question… Why do others want to believe so fervently and so urgently in something at the cost of rationality?

It could be a feeling of insecurity at being surrounded by mystery. A few might ask… “Aren’t we always surrounded by mystery?” Others will say… “That is the mystery of god”. I feel this feeling of insecurity grows from a deep feeling of inadequacy with one’s own existence. The fact that YOU exist doesn’t give you enough courage to embrace life with all its mysteries.

Another possible explanation for this could be the reluctance to shoulder the responsibility to face all these mysteries with a sense of curiosity… that I feel is natural to any life form. One must find an answer to every question! We don’t stop until we do find our answers. When they don’t… they make a grave error… They create an answer. People will enthusiastically believe this fabricated shred that I see as an excuse to mask their lack of courage.

I am a dot on this world. My existence may not make any difference to anyone. What is most important is that it makes a difference to me.

I believe in many things. Every one of these beliefs is founded on reason and open to challenges and change. Sometimes, I must admit, I crave to be challenged.

4 comments:

Rosh said...

The evidence of absence is not the absence of evidence!!!!! i once met a scientist who told me about the other universes....and he tried to prove this( of course i was boerd whn he started his explanation)...this concept of nothing is very confusing..esp if u r brought up as a christain.....there can never be nothing....theres always space!

M. James said...

and where does this space stop? and if you say it doesn't.. if you say it is constantly expanding... then expanding into what? it brings us back to nothing!

the evidence of absence is absence itself. it's like saying that the only proof to the existence of nothing is nothing. :-) and the most interesting part is... that's about the best piece of evidence you can get!

Rosh said...

how can space expand into nothing?y not not into more space?
how can the evidence of absence be absence itself...if theres no evidence of something, doesnt mean that it doesnt exist...whn u look inside a seed wat do u see..nothing! but u know theres a tree inside it!
all the theories of science and existence have to be unlearned and have to be observed again and again..they have to be sorted out by ourselves..whn we look at things without the information passed on to us by textbooks , scriptures, great men,whn we see thngs for urselves only then can we see things clearly, for once lets stop thinking with the information thts passed on to us...lets be r natural selves and all answrs will come to us!

M. James said...

:-) beautiful. i know what i was missing out on!

you are right... our concept of nothing is not necessarily nothing... it is the seed to something. we treat it in a purely normative fashion undermining our own raw creativity and rationality...

we must start all over again... :-) you just made me extremely happy!