Tuesday 6 February 2007

Defining life

A critical part of communication is defining the terms we employ through our language. What often happens is that we communicate expecting others to understand us and are left perplexed when they don't. The reason is usually our different interpretations of the ideas and terms we use.

Building relationships would involve defining life together. Agreeing on definitions after true and clear discussion leads to a great amount of fluidity in interaction, understanding and growth.

This holds true especially for the overused lingo in the world today. Let me take, for example, the phrase, "I love you". Now let's isolate the word 'love'. We commonly use this term for other phrases like, "I love my dog", "I love Metallica", "I love extra cheese on my pizza" and so on. So what the hell do I mean when I say that I love you?!

We need to be so much more specific and elaborate (and creative) in our communication to get our point across the way we feel it (that's assuming that we really feel it).

1 comment:

~ a said...

so mr. james, what's your take on this post now?

doesn't the word like all things in life have depth and character which one needs to feel...

why talk about what others choose to use it for, when it makes sense for you as you appreciate it's true meaning?

:)