Thursday 15 February 2007

I took the last post too far...

Don't judge a book by it's cover... True. But, I never said start afresh with every book (human), go through all it's finer details and then reach a conclusion about its worth. I drastically miscalculated (or should I say didn't calculate at all) today.

Imagine trusting a pick-pocket you have met a minute ago and actually doing a deal with the dude, trusting completely his penchant for business ethics! It's not a plain mistake. It's downright naive and immature. I deserve the kick that I got in the end.

One, of course, cannot afford to trust people at first sight. Somewhere within me, i know, there is a desire to see and experience the darker side of our world even at the cost of befriending it's elements. I'll need to be shrewd if I want to deal with these people. Be on my guard atleast when I voluntarily put myself into situations where I stand to compromise on something.

It's not about judging a book by it's cover exactly. It's more about reading the obvious signs like, 'the book looks worn out, maybe it's popular' or 'this book has bin laden's picture on it, it must be about terrorism'. Form an opinion, open the book with this opinion in mind, read through it , and reconsider your opinion with a new pulse of information. Never stop hunting for information. Try not to let your guard completely down when you know it's unfamiliar territory. Trust your instincts.

It's so difficult to trust people! I'm glad I learnt my lesson this way...

4 comments:

Bhavya said...

aww...dont be too hard on urself...could happen to any1

M. James said...

oye! not being hard on myself. i'm simply accepting what i felt and experienced. it is the truth :-)

Bhavya said...

yes i agree tht its true...but stop harping on it...let it go :)

M. James said...

I'm not harping on it either. Don't you think every experience should be given it's dues in terms of learning from them so as to facilitate our growth? The learning has already happened. Had to put it down into words at least once.