Wednesday 14 March 2007

Reverberations

Music for me is the symbiosis of rhythm, voice/sound and meaning. Very few artists achieve this in the end. Most pieces of music most disappointingly incomplete; either lacking meaning or rhythm or the voice. They are like half born babies. Alive, but not quite there...

I am feeling the reverberations of 'Zombie' by the Cranberries while I write this. Emotion, power, meaning, rhythm and a beautiful voice...entrancing. I'm so glad the likes of Cranberries, Chris Rea & Enigma still exist. These albums stress on the bliss, excitement and power of existence. Life is not as miserable as most people make it sound. Every moment is a celebration. Why mortify oneself with degrading concepts when we all want happiness in the end?

Mostly, we have the likes of Dido and Creed, stunning rhythm & voice. Their concepts however, are most disappointing. Stressing on dependence, weakness and giving up instead of fighting, surviving, rising up and attaining freedom. I have been able too enjoy these tracks by ignoring what they (don't) stand for and restrict myself to their rhythm and voice. It's difficult enjoying it this way but I'd rather make the most of what I have.

My intention was not to extoll or disparage any genre or particular artists. This is only my personal attitude towards music.

1 comment:

The Elemental said...

Have you come across Karunesh? Isn't he one of the greatest trance player? It just transmits to another world..Enigma is well - at the pinnacle of it all, the most sensous I've ever heard...I've never heard of Zombie, now that I have read about it, will definitely try to catch a sound of it...